Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Zox - the band, not the energy drink


So last night I went to a showcase at the Viper Room. It was a very post-MTV sort of crowd. You know, the type of kids who are shiny but have that telltale ragged edge from experiencing one too many warehouse raves and melancholy shoegazer shows in the 90's. Hence the music was an excellent pairing, similar to a crisp chardonnay alongside a nice white piece of fish. Now that we've pushed teen angst-rock through the mainstream, I feel that there's a college jam band revival on the horizon. I mean think about it - how many 19 year olds want to go see Dave Mattews Band AGAIN? AND pay gazillions of dollars for tickets, parking, and underage consumption (if you can't get away with tailgating pre-game, err rather pre-show).
Zox is the solution. Shiny, jam worthy (yes -there's a guy on the electric violin), and accessible. Heralding from Providence, Rhode Island, I think we're going to be hearing more from these guys. And the industry knows it too - I saw many an agent and A&R person skulking around the outskirts of the crowd. Don't think I didn't see you.

No comments: